Now don’t get this confused with the “care package” project from last year (where the members of DHX were suppose to get a care package from the community). This care package is being assembled for Kiki, the little girl who has been battling brain cancer but been blessed with the support of Tara Strong (who in turn got the community involved). A group from the community is looking to put together a fan fiction care package for her this holiday season, details are below:
Greetings and Salutations to All of Equestria!
This letter is to announce the arrival of a new brony charity project, known as the ‘Hearth’s Warming Care Package’. We have been moved by the many great things the members of our fandom and community have done for those less fortunate, and this project is a way for those without funds to give back to a cause.
For our first event, we are putting together a care package for a fan you might already know about. Kiki Havivy is a wonderful little pegasister that was diagnosed with brain cancer in January of 2011 at the age of six. She is fighting an uphill battle, and so far, the brony community has raised countless sums of money to aid her in her quest for survival, as well as the dozens of artists and musicians who gave their work to auctions and charity albums.
We also seek to do something for Kiki for those that do not readily have money to give to her cause or a skill of monetary value. To this end, we are announcing the first ever brony charity fanfiction contest. We are looking for a great story that we can illustrate, print and send to Kiki along with a package full of holiday cards, toys and wishes for her speedy recovery.
But wait, there’s more!
We have several big names in the fanfiction community lined up to judge your entries. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get some feedback on your work from some of the most respected and renown writers, on top of the chance to write for a cause. Among our judges are such names as DawnFade, Chromosome, Pen Stroke, WandererD, JasonTheHuman, The Descendant, Chaotic Dreams, PhantomFox, TwilightClopple, Thyrai, PonIver, The Sentient Cloud, Whirring Gears, Steel Resolve and even more!
Interested? Read on for the details and rules…
(After the page break)
Rules for entry
- All entries must be received by noon Central Standard Time on November 15th
- We prefer a gdocs link with comments enabled
- All authors will be treated anonymously
- Don’t upload it on FIMFiction or any other public site until the contest is concluded or you will be disqualified
- Send entries to [email protected]
- Include the following information in your e-mail
- Story Title
- Link to story
- Preferred method of contact
- (Optional) A brief well-wish message for Kiki to be included in a separate section of our printed anthology
- Entries must be appropriate for a younger audience
- No graphic material of any kind
- No extensive use of complex language
- Keep in mind we wish to illustrate the winner and think of how pictures would fit your story
- We do not have a word limit, but for a younger audience, shorter stories are encouraged
- Entries should have a positive, uplifting message
- Stories should revolve around canon characters
- No OC-centered stories, and background centered stories are discouraged, with the exception of Kiki’s own OC, which can be found on her website: http://www.giveforward.com/supportkikiscancerfund
Once entries close on November 15th, each entry will be randomly assigned to three of our judges. Each judge will rank the stories they are assigned, and these scores will determine three entries to be our finalists. Our finalists will be reviewed by all judges to declare a winner.
And on top of that, our finalists will receive some fabulous prizes!
First, all entries will be included in a bound anthology that we will send with the care package to Kiki and her family.
Two runners up will receive a commissioned cover for their story (or if they so choose, any other story they have or will be writing). They will also receive one shirt of their choice from the exquisite brony boutique at WeLoveFine.
Our grand prize winner will have their story illustrated, printed, and sent with the care package. On top of that, they will receive a 14” commissioned plush pony of their choosing (including OCs, and voice boxes available for canon characters), care of CreatedWithLove (http://createdwithlove.deviantart.com), who will also be including a plush of Kiki’s OC to send with the care package.
If you would like to be a part of this special gift for Kiki, we welcome all forms of aid. If you wish to donate money, please visit http://www.giveforward.com/supportkikiscancerfund. Artists and others who wish to be included in some way in the project are encouraged to contact either [email protected], or our project coordinator, PonIver (FIMFiction: PonIver, Skype: doughboy1337, Twitter: @PonIver, [email protected]).
We would love to include all who wish to be a part of this project, so don’t hesitate to ask! Cards, toy donations, or just some way to devote time to the project! We won’t turn anyone away.
We truly look forward to giving Kiki the best Hearth’s Warming ever, and wish her many more to come.
Love, Tolerate, and Seasons Greetings to All
PonIver and the ‘Hearth’s Warming Care Package’ Project